We spent most of our time today reviewing second drafts and having open work time. We reviewed last week's writing for radio and went over some general tips to address issues we found with most of their stories:
- Length: aim for three pages
- emember: What’s your focus sentence? What is your story about?
- Bites: 15 seconds
- Try to lead into a quote with something different than a question
- Think back to Writing Out of Tape - did Mose use questions to lead into bites?
- Can you introduce who is talking before a bite?
- Be careful about editorializing
- Even though these pieces are personal, the facts still need to be true and verifiable.
For homework, they're finishing their third drafts and listening to Yik Yak Returns from Reply All.