Week 11: Production

My excitement about production quickly turned to... well, maybe not quite frustration, but definitely the step right before frustration. 

I'm still a beginner with audio production, and I only sort of know how to use Adobe Audition. Michaela is way more well-versed in Audition than I am, but she is already working down in the Southwest sans internet, so I'm on my own. It took me about a week to finish producing the first four stories. They're not perfect - far from it. But I am happy with the way they turned out. 

When Michaela and I started the semester, we had no idea how it was going to end. We didn't know if the students would buy into our sermons about social justice and vulnerability. We didn't know if they would buy into the coolness of radio. We didn't know if they would buy into us.

Throughout the course of the semester, these five incredible students have gone above and beyond in terms of creating a safe and trusting space to engage in difficult and open dialogues about the things that matter to them. And the incredible thing is that they trust in this model of openness and vulnerability so fully that they're willing to put their trust in an entire community by sharing their stories on the air. They continuously impressed us, and we couldn't have asked for a better group of students to share this first semester with. 

I am amazed, as I have been all semester, at how well every piece of this program has fallen into place. We learned a LOT this semester, and are excited to grow and expand in the future. Our main goals are to diversify our student group, write one more successful grant, and update our curriculum (mainly to include strict first/second/third draft deadlines that we actually stick to). 

-Kelsey